How To Rent An Apartment In Westfield
Getting ready to lease your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been a few years since you rented one, and now you’re starting the process again. Here’s what you need to know about how to rent an apartment in Westfield, from determining your budget to selecting the right apartment and submitting the application.
What Can You Afford?
What you ought to do at the outset is determine your budget. You don’t want to become enamored with a floor plan only to realize it’s not feasible from a financial standpoint. Consider your finances before you take a tour of that terrific two-bedroom unit with a view. Here’s some advice to help you do so.
- Take note of your net income - what’s left after taxes - and subtract your present expenses (car payments, credit cards, etc.).
- Plan for unpredicted costs like flat tires and urgent healthcare. Generally speaking, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Forecast costs at your new place, such as utility bills and groceries. If you’re not sure where to start, designate $250 a month for both.
- How often do you go out? Estimate your expected monthly dining and entertainment expenses.
- What is left? This amount is what you may put toward rent. This is the right time to determine if you’ll need a roommate.
Finding The Right Apartment In Westfield
Exploring different communities and floor plans can be enjoyable but also time-consuming. Make sure you provide yourself sufficient time to look - at least a month or two. Your first step is to figure out which area you want to live in. Do you want to be close to work or school? Are you trying to find something in the city center or in suburban areas? Is there entertainment and shopping close by? Determining an exact location will will be of great benefit.
You probably have a good idea of the number of bedrooms you’ll require, so you can focus on selecting your favorite floor plan. Next, you need to think about what amenities you want. Is a gym or swimming pool non-negotiable? Do you require a community that welcomes animals? Answering these kinds of questions will simplify your search.
Completing The Application Process
After you’ve picked out an apartment, you need to conclude the application process. You should come prepared with proper identification, proof of income, and references. You’ll generally have to pay an application fee to offset the cost of credit and background checks. If you need a co-signer, ask about them early in the process, as they might not be accepted.
Your application process will generally consist of the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Complete an application form
- Anticipate background and credit checks
- Sign the agreement
On the actual application form, you can anticipate supplying the information below:
- Phone number, name, email, and present address
- Your employer and income amount
- Past address(es)
- Pets (if applicable)
- Who to call in case of emergency
- References - you may be asked to provide previous landlords or personal and professional references
Come Home To The Ideal Apartment At Wheelhouse Apartments on the Monon
Finding an apartment in Westfield is easy at Wheelhouse Apartments on the Monon. We offer a wide choice of amenities and floor plans to accommodate your lifestyle. Schedule a tour to see our community or reach out to 317-218-1627 to speak with one of our friendly leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Westfield.